Translate

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Week 1 of the 30 Day Challenge

My 30 Day (no gluten, no sugar, no dairy) Challenge has not been easy. Going into week 1 I didn't expect it to be too harsh or ever reach a point of regret. However, Day 2 I was asking myself, Can I really do this?

Let's take a step back real quick. I am doing this challenge solely for the purpose of experimentation. If I am ever training people who are considering trying gluten, sugar, or dairy free nutrition, then I will be bale to give them a first hand experience. It may be different because I am eliminating all 3 at once, but I am still experiencing the "change" in nutrition. This is not a lifestyle change that I want to make because to be honest, I do like bagels and sourdough break and I believe there is a time and place for it.

DOOMSDAY
The first 3 Days were the worst for me. I was surprised on Day 2 after my lunch how much I was craving sugar. A cookie, brownie, chocolate bar, anything. I am big on dessert each night and after 1 night of not having it my mind and stomach were freaking out. It has been very eye opening to my body having a sugar addiction. This is definitely something that I will make a change in the future to not rely on a sugar packed dessert each night.

THE RESULTS
Up to this point I have found a few great outcomes from eliminating the big 3. First, I have been sleeping better on a more consistent basis. On 5 out of 7 nights I have slept an average of 8 hours a night like a rock. The other 2 nights my sleep schedule was off due to a late work night and a late weekend night.
Second, my training performance has not decreased at all. My numbers have been on point for my Olympic Lifts and upper body pushing. My legs have been a little more sore than usual, but that could be due to a new program I started last week.
Lastly, I have become a lot more creative with my meals. People think you have to rely on salads all day everyday, but I am enjoying what I am eating while only eating a salad for dinner which is normal. I am eating a ton of lean meats and fish, nuts, berries, vegetables, and fruit has become a sweet treat throughout the day.

FUTURE PREDICTIONS
Heading into the next 2 weeks I want to make sure I am not getting bored of what I am eating. I believe a lack of variety or enjoyment in any nutrition plan will ultimately lead to failure over time. Also, I need to find more recipes, that follow my challenge, that provide more of a crunch. I miss the bread texture and taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment